Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2017, 05:17:20 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  Pacific War Airfields Project Forums
|-+  Airfields
| |-+  The Project
| | |-+  Coordinates Fixed
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Coordinates Fixed  (Read 6134 times)
Dave
Administrator

View Profile
« on: September 16, 2007, 07:46:16 PM »

With some of the early airfields that were entered into the original project there were problems with the latitudes and longitudes being screwed up.  This has now been fixed and the data should in theory be clean.

Also the N/S and E/W directionals were not present previously.  That has been fixed (there are some that may be incorrect because they are generalized for a particular island chain but that should be very few).

-Dave
Newton609

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 04:01:52 PM »

Congratulations on pulling together such a large amount of useful data from original sources.
My main interest is in tabulating airfield location co-ordinates for mapping purposes.
In this regard, there still seem to be problems with the database. When I do a search by "Island Group", the tabulated results often seem to have latitude and longitude transposed. This seems to be because the table uses the standard convention of latitude followed by longitude. However, many of the individual airfield entries have longitude followed by latitude. In addition the search results for airfield groups do not show E/W or N/S data.
Most of this can be sorted by logical changes but there are still a few ambiguous points. Sumatra presents a particular problem because it lies at a diagonal across the equator. An "Island" search gives all locations as North of the Equator (yellow dots on the attached map). A check on the individual entries shows all of them listed as South of the Equator (red dots on the map). Again, I think most of the ambiguities can be sorted out logically but we are still left with some uncertainties, especially in central Sumatra.
I have used Microsoft Excel to sort things as far as possible. The workbook is too large to attach, but I have pasted a test data plot into the attached Word 97 document.
I will help out with this problem where I can, but it looks as though a lot of data need checking back against the source documents. I hope also to be able soon to fill in some gaps in the database.

Newton609
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length